About Me

My photo
I am a lifelong fabric artist who loves bringing a home to life with quirky, unique and sumptuous pieces of textile art. I learnt my craft from sharing many a happy hour sewing with my talented mother. I particularly like collage, free-machining, needle-felting and creating home furnishings using a combination of machine and hand sewing. I love incorporating vintage and reclaimed fabrics, buttons, beads, jewellery and other items in my work to give them a second chance at being beautiful.

Wednesday 2 September 2015

WOYWW - Needle-felting fun and a peacock

Morning all! With the bank holiday I feel like I've lost a day and WOYWW has come round mighty quick this week.

I'm delighted to say I've been able to make time this week for a little light dumfing (a.k.a needle-felting). With all the busy book and sensory toy making it's been a few months since my last felting session. I guess it's like riding a bike...you never forget, but I have to say I felt a bit rusty as I prodded away with my dumfing tool.

So here's my workdesk. . .

I've managed to do a bit of everything but not managed to finish anything!

There are some hand-felted mini gardens which I got as far as hand embroidering and beading....

I'll be running workshops on these later this year and early next year so I'm keen to make a range of different flowers to demonstrate.

There's a selection of wet felted background pieces which I have worked on with the dumfing machine (the most satisfying crafting activity I know) ready to add foreground flowers. I've used three different colours to try and steer myself away from just doing poppies, which I love.

Finally there is a long strip of poppies which I have free machine embroidered but not yet beaded. The poppy picture in the foreground is a felters's answer to a crib sheet - one I made earlier!

My last little show and tell is not my work at all but a snap shot of Benjamin's work desk following a little (mess-free) painting activity we did this week.

He seemed somewhat puzzled as to why I was encouraging him to squelch and prod a plastic pouch selotaped to the floor but he stuck with it. Here's his finished piece. Though the poster paint has cracked on the canvas, I think you will all agree it is clearly a peacock in motion!!

Thanks for dropping by. I look forward to visiting a few workdesks today via Julia's Stamping Ground

Happy crafting x

11 comments:

  1. Wow - I love the mess free painted pic! Another talented artist on his way. Your dumfed pics are going to be gorgeous - keep at it. x Jo aka Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking amazing, such fun. Take care Zo xx 30

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a peacock in motion. I bet if you gave him some reds and oranges he could do a super Phoenix. What a fab activity for one so young.
    Love your dumfing, especially the poppies which I am addicted to but love it all and those blue flowers are exquisite.
    Hugs, Neet 18 xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do some excellent activities with Ben! He looks as if he's having great fun :-)
    I do so love your needle felted pics...your range of flowers is fab, by the way, I could tell the different varieties, so you'll be fine for your workshops. I wish I lived nearer...I'd come to one!! The long poppies piece is brilliant, that's going to be amazing when the beading/embellishing is done.
    Hugs, LLJ 5 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope to be able to make a corner of my new room for dumfing fun....I really hope the how to do it will all flood back as it's ages since I did any [I was going to mention 'like riding a bike' but as you know I can't]. I love Ben's peacock :-) an artist in the making there. :-)
    Hugs,
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ben' picture is gorgeous, talent runs in the family for sure! Love your dumfed pieces. Helen 2

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your needle felting is gorgeous - I love your mini garden series, the Grape Hyacinths are exquisite and one of my favourite spring flowers. I love the peacock in motion, and that fact it was a mess-free activity makes it even more appealing! Hope you have a great week
    Diana #26

    ReplyDelete
  8. Much as I love your dumfing pieces, and I do, I love Benjamin's artwork even more! What a super way of introducing a little one to the joys of art without the mess :) Have a good week. Elizabeth x #37

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahh a great duo there of creativity must say too love the poppies but the others are very beautiful too.
    love the peacock.. how clever and imaginative.. and Ben thought you were a tad crazy no doubt :D

    Happy Belated WOYWW! Shaz in Oz.x #27

    {Shaz in Oz – Calligraphy Cards}

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your dumfing and Benjamin's 'peacock . Thankyou for visiting. Anne x #7

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just came across your felting this morning, love all the little pictures - I like doing small things as I can finish them more quickly. I learned to wet felt and needle felt about 8 years ago at a 6 week free class in Glasgow and I was hooked right away. I hadn't done much felting for a while and now in the lockdown have found the time again, along with sewing and crocheting. I have to stay focussed and decide what to do first! Love your little boy's picture, it looks very professional!

    ReplyDelete